We want everyone to have fun and be safe during the community cleanup challenge. Please read these safety tips before picking up litter:
- Do wear gloves (latex, work gloves, or cotton gloves).
- Do wear good walking shoes and dress for the weather.
- Do wear bright-colored clothing or a safety vest to be visible by traffic.
- Do face oncoming traffic when on the street and look up often to monitor approaching vehicles. In a group, designate someone to be a spotter or set up safety cones.
- Do provide proper adult supervision for children at all times. We do not recommend young children participate near or on the street.
- Do NOT overfill or compact bags. Injuries from jagged or broken items may occur.
- Do call your local police or sheriffs office for assistance. They should be able to send an officer to your cleanup location to help monitor and slow down traffic.
1. Soddy-Daisy Police: (423) 332-3577
2. Hamilton County Sheriff’s office: (423) 209-7000
3. Chattanooga Police: (423) 698-2525
DO NOT pick up the following items, call 3-1-1 to report:
- Sharp objects
- Needles and syringes
- Hazardous Waste
- Abandoned barrels
- Chemical containers
- Unidentifiable containers
- Bulging or dented containers
- Containers leaking unknown substances
- Propane cylinders
- Gas cans, oil or antifreeze
- Paint cans
- Pesticide or herbicide containers
- Automotive batteries
- Dead animals